Monday, September 4, 2006

from yesterday......

I am the pianist at my awesome church. Which is generally a joy, and sometimes a challenge. Yesterday, the songleader announced that people in the congregation could pick favorite hymns out of the book and everyone would sing them together. I always get nervous at times like this, because inevitably, someone will pick a song that either 1) I don't know, or 2) I don't really like to play.

Well, an elderly man raised his hand and picked a number. After everyone had turned to it, there was somewhat of an uncomfortable silence in the building. I looked at John, the songleader, and he seemed a bit embarrassed as he admitted he was not familiar with the song. The pastor (of course) did not know the song, and most everyone else there was looking a bit confused. I, of course, did not know the song either, but I bravely said I could play it. Ha ha, they thought I was awesome, but it was really so easy, in the key of F and in 3/4 timing.

The pastor suggested that the man who had picked it come up to the front and teach it to everyone. He willingly obliged, and we made it through the song, and gracefully, at that! What we discovered, though, was a beautiful old hymn with wonderful words. I think we were all blessed to have had the opportunity to hear it and learn it. Some of the words were very moving, so I decided to post them here.


"Breathe on me, Breath of God,
Till I am wholly Thine,
Till all this earthly part of me
Glows with Thy fire divine.

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
So I shall never die,
But live with Thee the perfect life
Of Thine eternity."

The words and the simple melody were very beautiful. I think it just goes to show us that while many modern worship songs are gorgeous and have their place in the service, the old hymns have not lost their power either. I am glad our church sings some of the old hymns. Thanks, Mr. Jerry, for the new/old song!

No comments: