Monday, September 4, 2006

World Trade Center

Well, the other day was a first for me. It was the first time EVER in my life that I have walked out of a movie theater crying after a movie.

Jamie and I went to see World Trade Center on Friday night. We had been wanting to see it since it came out, but this was the first weekend in a while that we actually were able to spend together and had time to do it. I had heard varying mixed reviews on the movie, some good, some bad. I guess a lot of people think Hollywood is just in it for the money they can make, and I don't know if that's true or not. But I do know that the movie moved me in many ways.

I was not in New York or anywhere close to it on September 11. In fact, I was in Florida at the time. I did not know anyone who was lost or injured in the attacks. I don't have any friends who have family members who were lost. I don't know anyone who worked at the World Trade Center. And yet, a desperate sadness overtook me as I watched the movie. And I know this is because I AM AN AMERICAN, and a proud one at that. Something that big is bound to affect everyone in the country.

But then I got to thinking. If the movie affected me this much, how in the world would I react if I or my family or friends were in some way directly affected by the attacks, i.e. lost or injured? I don't think there is any way that I would have been able to sit through the pain of remembering. Honestly, I sat there and cried and cried as I imagined (or feebly tried to) what it must have been like for those who were there on that day. So, in that respect, I can't get annoyed with all the people who have said it was too soon to make such a film.

Granted, I watched the movie in a Canadian theater with a largely (I'm sure) Canadian audience. And yes, I was highly annoyed with the teenagers sitting near us who were giggling and whispering throughout much of the film. At the end, a number of statistics from 9/11 were displayed on the screen. Just to see the raw numbers made me cry all over again. For example, I had no idea that rescuers were only able to pull 20 people out of the rubble alive. Just twenty. And I guess I really can't expect Canadians to understand or even feel the magnitude of what happened. But I did expect a little respect, and so many people got up and walked out during the credits at the end where they listed all the names of the people who were lost that day.

I guess human nature is what it is. We all need to take the time to feel things a little more deeply. We need to search our souls and weep for all those who were lost, all of them who were lost souls who did not know they were on their way to Heaven. It was a lesson for me -- am I honestly burdened to the point of crying over all the lost souls on their way to hell? And what am I personally doing about it?

If you haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend it. But take a box of tissues.

God bless America.

No comments: