Tuesday, September 12, 2006

a yummy recipe

Well, ever since I have entered the world of housewifery and such things that go along with it, I have been experimenting with recipes. This is all new to me, b/c I rarely did any cooking or baking before I got married. Now, a year later, I have become much more comfortable. Anyways, that being said, I thought I would share this yummy recipe that I made for dinner tonight -- baked potato soup. :)

Ingredients You Will Need

  • 4 large baking potatoes
  • 2/3 cup butter (do not substitute margarine!)
  • 2/3 cup flour
  • 6 cups milk (can use whole or 2%)
  • 3/4 tsp salt (can omit)
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 12 slices bacon, fried and crumbled (I personally use more bacon than this to try to convince my husband that this is a "meat" dish.......lol)
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup (8 oz) sour cream

Directions

  1. Bake the potatoes using the method of your choice (I use the microwave)
  2. Cut the potatoes in half. Scoop out the pulp and put it in a small bowl.
  3. Melt the butter in a large kettle. Gradually add the flour to make a pasty mixture.
  4. Gradually stir in the milk. Continue to stir until smooth, thickened, and bubbly.
  5. Stir in the potato pulp, salt, pepper, bacon, and cheese. Cook until heated. Stir in the sour cream.
  6. You can serve this immediately or transfer it to a slow cooker set on low to keep it warm for as long as you wish.

And that's it! Pretty straight-forward. I made it this afternoon and kept it warm in the slow cooker until dinner time. This works well for us b/c I never know when Jamie will be home from work. And it was particularly good since the weather is showing increasing signs that autumn is near. Enjoy!

No comments: