Tuesday, October 10, 2006

happy Thanksgiving!!!

Yup, you heard that right! While everyone else was celebrating (?) Columbus Day in the States, up here, we had Canadian Thanksgiving! Which seems like a pretty good tradeoff to me, seeing as no one really does anything to celebrate Columbus Day -- but Canadian Thanksgiving is just like American Thanksgiving -- lots and lots of food and fellowship and thanks to God! Now I must admit that I'm pretty sure that Canadian Thanksgiving is a rip-off of the American version (I'm American, I don't have a problem admitting that!). But who in their right mind could complain when it means I get TWO Thanksgiving dinners every fall? Now that's what I'm talking about! :)

Anyways, we went over to Jamie's parents' house for Thanksgiving dinner. But before we did that, we decided to take a drive through the countryside and look at all the beautiful fall colors. I was a little bit disappointed that there wasn't a brilliant blue sky as there had been the previous two days, but the colors were still amazing. Here are a couple of pictures I took.



Okay, I realize that last picture has nothing to do with beautiful fall colors, but I like it anyways!

So, Thanksgiving at the in-laws was rather fun. There were about 20 people there, and it was anything but quiet! My husband has a rather large family........we were there, his parents, his grandparents, his ten siblings, and three friends. Good times! Thanksgiving is always a big feast, but seeing as there were so many people there, this was quite a feast! After dinner, we all sat around the (very long) table and played Apples to Apples. Which, if you haven't ever played, you absolutely must! Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays, and now I am blessed with two! Jamie and I are hoping to drive down to PA for American Thanksgiving in November. But if we can't make it, you can bet I'll be cooking up a great turkey/stuffing/potatoes/cranberry sauce/pumpkin pie dinner for two right here in Canada on that day. :)

Oh, by the way, there is ONE better thing about American Thanksgiving -- NFL football all day!

3 comments:

Anne said...

Oh I absolutely *love* the pretty lane with the golden tints to the leaves :o). I thought about you and a few other ladies I know who live in Canada and got to enjoy Thanksgiving on Monday :). I think that's what they call getting the best of both worlds :D.

Sis. Julie said...

Wow!!! Two thanksgiving meals a year!! I look forward to Thanksgiving Day with my in-laws. They are the only ones I get to spend it with. My parents live in Kansas so we don't get to go there. But we always have a great time. This year will be a bit different though. My MIL and FIL are going to NC to spend the holiday with my SIL whose husband will be in Iraq. He is in the Army and stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC. So we will have dinner with my other SIL and her husband and daughter. It should be very nice just the same.

So you have stuffing too huh? Down here everyone has dressing of the cornbread form....yuck!!! I'm a northern girl myself and prefer the stuffing!!! Yum, yum!!

Those pictures are absolutely gorgeous!!! I can't wait till we hit our peak leaf time. The leaves are BEGINNING to change but haven't quite done much of anything yet. It shouldn't be too long though and we'll get to enjoy those beautiful colors as well.

Kay said...

Cute pictures Missy! Don't you just love when the leaves change colors!? Anyway... i have never had the experience of playing "apples to apples" am i deprived!? haha hope to see you when you come down here! -Kay-