Sunday, October 8, 2006

seasons

I'm having slightly mixed feelings about the changing seasons that are almost/suddenly/finally upon us. On the one hand, I am very reluctant to give up summer. On the other hand, I'm very excited for Christmas........one of the only things I actually like about winter. :) Okay, maybe that's a small exaggeration.......I also like hot apple cider and wearing sweaters and the first big fat snowflakes and hot chocolate and Tim Horton's and sledding and ice skating and hoodies and Thanksgiving and going to PA for New Year's and building snowmen and fireplaces and making snow angels and more. Okay, maybe I don't dislike winter that much, it's just that I love summer so much!

I took James to work the other morning, and (horror of horrors) first I had to scrape ice off the car!!! It was a whopping 31 degrees! I am so not ready for that! It doesn't help that winter lasts until April up here. Anyways, I absolutely refuse to accept that it is now fall and winter is fast approaching. To show my disgust and distaste, I am being stubborn and continuing to wear flip flops. It's kind of funny, but really borders on stupidity. :) After taking James to work the other day, I had to park down the street b/c our driveway was being worked on. Well, I'm sure I was quite a sight walking back home.........I was wearing fleece pants, a long-sleeve shirt, a warm hoodie, and..........pink flip flops. And I will continue to adamantly wear them as long as I can or at least until my toes turn blue and are frost bitten! I have issues with the fact that flip flops are only created to be worn in the warmer months. I suppose part of the problem is my aversion to socks in general, and also my being too lazy to tie shoes! :) Anyways, it was a bit warmer today, and I wore my flip flops with pride and without looking stupid (at least I like to think so).

On to the joys of winter -- Christmas! Now I know it seems a little too early to be thinking of Christmas, but I can't help myself! I would put up our tree tomorrow if James would let me. (And no, he won't.....I already asked him.......lol) But today was a good day, b/c we downloaded tons of Christmas music and burned it on CDs. I really want to listen to it all now, but Jamie says I have to wait until November at least............

In the meantime, I've noticed the fall colors are becoming more beautiful and more brilliant. I really have to take some pictures before they all disappear and the (ugly cold horrible) winter sets in. I try to hide my true feelings with parentheses, but I don't think I'm fooling anyone........lol! Just not looking forward to shoveling and digging out the car and scraping ice off the windows and driving in the snow and being cold all the time and wearing socks and having to put on ten layers just to go check the mail.........

So, what's YOUR favorite season? Fifty bonus points to whoever can figure out mine...........lol.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Heehee!!!! You're going to laugh....but my favorite season is winter. :)

I love cold and snow...but I still have a little brother who does all the shoveling, and usually will clean off my car for me (if I promise to bake him cookies).

The thought of winter until April sounds kinda nice to me. :D

Sis. Julie said...

My favorite season is fall. I love the temperatures and the colors of the season. The trees are so pretty with their colors of yellow, red, orange and different shades of each. Spring is my second favorite due to the temperatures and the fresh clean look of everything when everything is turning green again.

Flip flops in cool or cold weather huh? LOL!!! I have to say I'm like you. I hate socks and I hate wearing shoes. I'm a bit lazy about just slipping on my flip flops or even my slip on slippers even to get the mail...LOL!! Now that is a sight!! I'm a pastor's wife who lives at the church and I DRIVE up to the mail box (it's a long ways to our mailbox) and get out in my skirt, shirt and slippers to get the mail. I can only imagine what people think when they see me...LOL!!

Anne said...

Melissa ~ This is going to sound like a cop-out answer:o) I find that I like each season. You know from living in PA that we actually get to experience *all* the seasons and just about the time I feel like I could use a change, the season changes;)

Kay said...

Flip Flops are meant to be warn all year long! I wear them until my mother demands that i stop! haha. Fall is by far my favorite holiday! I love when its about 60 degree's out and all the leaves are crunching! I also love winter because of the snow! anyway, there's my favorite seasons! -Kay-

Kay said...

holiday... sheeesh.. i meant season!!!

Sean Carter said...

Hey and who can forget Thanksgiving!!!! The beauty of nature eith all the fun and laughter with family and close friends!!! That is really amazing....and you can also find many more amazing stuffs on Thanksgiving at this Thanksgiving Blog. So visit it and find out all the interesting stuffs on Thanksgiving.