Monday, November 6, 2006

just what i needed

Let me just start off by saying that I LOVE my church. It is a missionary plant, started just over five years ago here in Brampton, Ontario. The pastor and his wife are missionaries from the States......that makes me feel right at home. :) It is a little church in a very hardened area, but we are seeing tremendous growth, and both my husband and I feel blessed to be a part of this work while we are living in this area. Our pastor is an amazing speaker, and I can always get something out of his messages. But I just love it when I go to church, and the message seems to be directed at me, preached with me directly in mind. Not that anyone actually "likes" being reproved or having sin pointed out in their life, but I love how God knows exactly what we need and never fails to give it to us.

To the real point........

Last night, our pastor preached a message about sin in the life of the Christian. He made sooooo many good points, so I will attempt to list a few here. First off, I think the first words out of his mouth were "Sin is INCOMPATIBLE in the life of a Christian." Period. There are absolutely no exceptions. Not even that show I watch on TV that I know I probably shouldn't. Not that little not-so-bad word I let slip when I'm driving and someone cuts in front of me. Not the anger I hold in my heart toward someone. When you think about the fact that any and all sin is the work of the devil himself, why is that something I would want to be involved in, no matter how "little" it may seem to me?

Sin is out-and-out breaking God's law. God says do something, and I don't; or He says don't do something, and I do it anyways. I don't mean to say that Christians will never sin, b/c we obviously know that's not true. Sin is inevitable, but it is also avoidable! Our pastor said something simple, yet very profound -- "WE DON'T HAVE TO SIN AS MUCH AS WE DO!" I think sometimes I get in this rut and say, "oh well, everyone sins." Yes, everyone does sin, but shouldn't I make a practice of AVOIDING sin instead of making excuses for it? Is my desire (my sin) more important than Christ my Saviour? I should hope not.

One of the last things I wanted to mention that really made me think didn't have to do with sin directly, but it pricked at my heart. On Wednesdays at church, we are studying different religions of the world and what they believe and so on and so forth. One dominant theme of many of the religions is that these people make their gods their life. They are so dedicated.....they pray constantly, they would even be willing to die for their gods in some instances. Then I look at my heart. Is my God my LIFE, or am I guilty of making Him just a part of my life? Is He something I just throw in when it's convenient for me? Our relationship should just be so natural that I don't have to sit and think about where I can fit Him in.........it should be the other things in my life that I am fitting in!

Wow, so many things from one message to think and pray about. Just thought I'd share them in case you might get something out of it too. :)

1 comment:

Sis. Julie said...

That was a blessing and had so much truth to it. I too love it when my husband (who is my pastor too :) ) preaches something that hits me where it hurts!! I know I need it and I welcome it. We all need it. Unfortunately, not all people welcome that kind of preaching. That is the kind of preaching this world needs!! Sin is a destroyer and I know it is going to be a part of my life since I still have that old nature in me that wars with the Spirit. But it is all in what I CHOOSE and which one I FEED the most that will be the strongest!! Thanks for the post!!