Friday, January 12, 2007

I'm a bad cat mommy

Well, it's official. I am a bad cat parent. Ha ha.

Yeah, so this is what I did. I accidentally locked my cat out of the apartment for the ENTIRE NIGHT. So far, no lasting effects........we'll see.

Anyways, my husband and me were watching TV and promptly fell asleep on the sofas. About 1 am, Spencer jumped on me and woke me up, I think she wanted to be fed or something. So I dragged myself off the sofa, woke my husband up, and proceeded to get ready to go to bed. Well, in so doing, I was turning off all the lights. The light switch for our living room is actually outside our door in the little hallway/foyer thing, so I opened the door to turn it off. Unbeknownst to me, the cat ran out and I turned off the light, so of course, I didn't notice her. I shut the door, turned off the rest of the lights, brushed my teeth, and went to bed. When I went into the bedroom, I asked Jamie if the cat was in there, and he said yeah, he thought so. Well, we were both half asleep, and it was dark. I listened for a little bit, thought I heard some rustling, and said okay, that must be her, shut the door, thought nothing more about it.

Jamie got up around 9 am the next morning (well technically the same morning) and asked me if I knew where the cat was. I thought maybe she was hiding under the bed but no sign. I figured she must have been in the bed in the middle of the night while we were sleeping, since a stuffed animal had hit me in the head at some point. :) I looked in all her usual hiding places, nothing. Well, Jamie decided to take a shower, and I went to turn on the lights. I opened the door to get the one in the living room, and Spencer comes running in, looking very relieved! I just started laughing, I couldn't help it. :)

Now, if you know my cat at all, you know that she has a severe attitude problem. I thought perhaps this would scare her into good behavior, at least for a while. Well, it seemed as if it might.......for the better part of the day, she was rather good, kinda laying low, giving me shifty looks once in a while.

But has she learned? Sadly NO. Every time I open the door, she still tries to run out (although she has been outside a few times and is absolutely scared to death of it). She still has issues with her attitude. She bites and scratches when she shouldn't. She is bad in general and gets punished a lot.

I think she should be put out there every night, make her appreciate what she has INSIDE THE DOOR. But then again, she's a cat, she'll never appreciate anything. :)

No comments: