Wednesday, January 31, 2007

only by the grace of God

I scared myself so badly today. I have never been in a car accident, and after today, thankfully, I can still say the same thing!!!

It's winter and it's been snowing up here most every day as of late, today being no exception. I was driving home from the grocery store around 8:30 am. There wasn't really a lot of snow on the roads, but there was enough, and it was slippery and slushy. I was kinda going along a windy road, probably one I shouldn't have been taking because it isn't as well travelled. Nevertheless, there I was. I was driving very slowly and headed around one of the more severe curves. And then it happened.......I found myself skidding onto the other side of the road into oncoming traffic! Be still my heart. There weren't a lot of cars on the road, but there WAS someone coming the other way right when this happened (of course).

Fortunately, he was paying attention and saw me. HE SAW ME!!!! I shifted the car into neutral and tried to steer it back onto the right side. I was able to come to a stop, and so did he, about 3-4 inches from the front of my car. I was so relieved!!! Beyond relieved! I didn't even know what to do at first, but then I thought maybe I should get going the right way again. :) I was a little scared to look at the other driver, for fear he would be angry or making obscene gestures or what have you. But he wasn't........he.....SMILED....at me and gave me the thumbs up and mouthed "it's okay!" Wow. Double relief. I kept wondering to myself on the rest of the way home if I would have been that understanding had I been in his position. I wonder.

By God's grace, I am in one piece! Thank you, God, for keeping me safe and putting me in the way of someone who taught me a lesson about understanding and patience. His protection will never stop amazing me.

No comments: