Monday, April 30, 2007

an obligate recycler

There's a little tree-hugger in all of us. Right? Well, at least before, it was a choice. Now we, as residents of our little town, are being forced into it. Don't get me wrong......I'm all about being eco-friendly and keeping the environment a happier and healthier place. But it's maybe getting a little ridiculous.

In order to "encourage" (read force) people into recycling more, our town is now only going to accept one bag of garbage per week from each household. Just one. People were annoyed when they set the limit at two. How does a family only have one bag of trash a week? My husband and I can usually come up with a bag just between the two of us in a week's time. Anyways, to help this endeavor, they are now coming up with more things to recycle. In addition to our glass and plastic bin, and paper and cardboard bin, we now have a green food/organic bin. It's true, people -- now we can recycle our leftovers instead of eating them! Also allowed in this bin are used Kleenex, tea bags, microwave popcorn bags, flowers, chicken bones, paper plates and napkins, HAIR (gross), cotton balls, coffee grounds, and the list goes on. However, they did take the time to remind us that we still cannot recycle items such as dirty diapers, kitty litter, McDonald's cups, twist ties, dryer lint, bandaids, and a myriad of other things. Gee thanks.

Here's what I love about this. We get to make space (read CRAM) for yet another bin in our already small and well, let's face it, jam-packed apartment for two. Plus now I get to keep lists on the refrigerator to make sure everything gets allotted to the proper bin. Because I just might forget that I can recycle a tissue but not a feminine hygiene product. I can recycle my pet's hair but not her waste. I can recycle my cooking oil, but NO other type of oil. It's gonna be fun, I can tell.

Oh, just in case you were wondering.......on the list of no-no's for recycling is (get this) dead animals. Ya think?

No comments: