Monday, October 29, 2007

do you really love God?

Our pastor preached an excellent message last night on the topic "how much do we really love God?". He used the passage in John 21 when Jesus was asking Peter if he loved Him. Although Peter kept insisting to the Lord that he indeed did love Him, he was talking about a different kind of love. Jesus asked Peter if he "agape" loved him, as in the most perfect, Godly love of all. And Peter kept responding, "Yes, Lord, I 'phileo' love You," which is the Greek word for brotherly, or familiar love. In other words, Jesus asked Peter, "do you love me?", and Peter would answer, "Yes, Lord, I like You." Ouch. What a blow. No wonder Jesus kept asking. Imagine a boy says to his girlfriend, "I love you," and she responds, "Yeah, I like you, too." Peter must have really hurt Jesus with his replies.

And I wonder, really, how much do I love God? Do I say I love Him and do nothing about it? I love my husband, therefore, I work at our relationship and try to do things that would please him and make him happy. Do I take my relationship with God for granted and never work at it, because, let's face it, He's never going to stop loving me like some human would. Do I make an effort to do things that would please God? Sadly, the answer to all these questions is sometimes yes, and that is not the way it should be!! I should love Jesus, my Lord and Saviour, above all, above any other human, above any other thing in my life. I am really going to start praying that I would love Jesus more, that He will always be number one in my life, and that everyone around me will know it!

I wanted to put these words in from one of my favorite songs. This is part of the chorus, and it is Jesus speaking. Just to realize that Jesus loved us that much -- I don't think we can ever fully understand it. And I don't think we have to understand it, it is what we do with it. What we need to do is accept His love, accept His forgiveness and grace, and love Him with everything we are. (Lyrics are courtesy of Mac Powell and Third Day.)

I know that you don't understand the fullness of My love,
How I died upon the cross for your sins;
And I know that you don't realize how much that I'd give you,
But I promise, I would do it all again.
Just to be with you, I've done everything,
There's no price I did not pay,
Just to be with you, I gave everything,
Yes, I gave my life away.

3 comments:

C.F.B said...

Wow...what an awesome thought. It reminds me of the song that Mark Lowry sung called "Isnt it Amazing" talking about the fact that Jesus, King of all Kings came down to earth to die for us. I think that we as human beings can never fully comprehend that kind of love.
And then yes how do we respond to that? I am ashamed to have to agree with you that I also take it all for granted.

Rachel said...

Wow...what are the chances? My brother (Ronnie) preached on the exact same thing, exact same passage yesterday. LOL!! Great minds must think alike. :)

Great thoughts!

ADEBOWALE said...

dear melissa hi... i loved your write up please i would like to invite you to Facebook. There is a group there called How to really Love God Come and be part of it My name is Debo and we ID is brsd08 .. see you there