Wednesday, October 3, 2007

October is here again....


Another year has come and gone. October is here -- and it is breast cancer awareness month. I think probably everyone knows someone who has been affected by this awful disease, if not dealing with it firsthand in their circle of family and/or friends. It hits especially close to home for me, as my mom was diagnosed in January 2006, and has been dealing with it ever since.

My mom is the strongest person I have ever known. If you had any idea of how much she has been through in her life, healthwise, you would understand what I'm talking about. Through it all, she continues on with life -- not just existing, but carrying on with many activities like a whirlwind -- she's a redhead after all. :) I love my mom, I am so proud to be her daughter. I definitely pray that God will give me the strength to be one tenth the wonderful woman that my mother is.

No one knows what the future holds for any of us, and I know that God has a perfect plan for my mom. I just really want her to stick around for say, 40 or 50 more years.

8 comments:

Abbi said...

Aww, what a sweet post! My Grandmother is a breast cancer survivor...sticking around for about 25+ years, so far. I hope your Mom follows suit!

Melissa said...

thanks, Abbi, that is encouraging about your grandma. :) I think my mom knows your mom from back in the day of EBA.....could be wrong, but I think she does.

Abbi said...

I think she does too. In fact, I think I saw your Mom when I was running errands with the kids recently. But I was going off of a picture you posted here, or something, and wasn't sure. And didn't want to sound like a dork..."Um, excuse me, I think I "know" your daughter...actually, I went to school with one of her siblings like eons ago, and now I "know" Missy from the internet...are you who I think you are?" Duh...really bad. :) So I opted not to say anything. She looked spunky, like you described...how is she doing?

And the rest of your clan...where is everyone?

C.F.B said...

What a beautiful post! Your mother is a trooper!

Melissa said...

Abbi, I left you a reply in a comment over on your blog. :) It's kinda long.

Abbi said...

Thanks for the update at my blog. Wow, you Vasels have been fruitful! Why are you not contributing?? :) I'm glad everyone is doing well!

Happymama said...

I'm a red head too, so I know what a whirlwind your mother must be.

I believe that the whirlwind in her will help her battle with this terrible disease.

~Kristi

Melissa said...

Kristi, it seems to have helped so far. God is in control, and that is the best part.