Thursday, October 25, 2007

things that have been on my mind.....

1. Well, the candle mentioned in this post has bit the dust.....quite literally. Ironic? I think not. :) Two days after the hot wax incident, my husband was vacuuming (yes, I said my husband was actually vacuuming) and accidentally hit the coffee table with the vacuum. Not even very hard, but the candle (one of those big jar ones) fell off and shattered into millions of tiny pieces. At first, I was a little sad b/c it smelled really good and those kinds of candles aren't exactly cheap. But then, I thought, good riddance. Die, evil candle, die!!!

2. Wanna talk about irony? Well, almost five months after I had my wallet stolen, I find out that the person who took it actually used one of my credit cards!!! Obviously, I had canceled this card almost immediately after I knew it was gone, but apparently, I wasn't fast enough. The thief bought about $150 worth of gas with it, bless their little heart. :) I thought because I had canceled it and told them the time and date it was stolen, then all charges after that time should be canceled as well. But apparently, my brain is a little ahead of theirs or something. Not once in the five months did I receive a statement from the credit card company that said here is how much you owe. It was only after four months of nonpayment that I receive a notice that says why haven't you paid your balance for the last four months? Needless to say, I was shocked that there even was a balance, as I don't even think I have used this card in more than a year. Also, the new card with the new account number that they sent me after cancelling the old one was still in the envelope it came in and had never even been activated. All this to say, I had to spend many hours on the phone trying to straighten this out, and I think maybe it is now all fixed. Lesson learned -- and someone got $150 of gas courtesy of Capital One. Next thing I know, my husband will be getting a phone call that I was doing 128 in an 80 zone b/c someone is using my stolen driver's license!!!

3. Today, I realized more and more how much I don't fit into a worldly workplace. That is not to say I can't get along there, but I really am not liking it more and more. I work with a lady who is probably close to my parents' age -- I usually have a good time working with her and we get along rather well. But today, something happened that made me lose all respect for her whatsoever. It saddened me, really. I was being questioned by the supervisor about something that had occurred earlier that day. Even though I knew the supervisor would have a problem with what I said, I told her the truth about what had happened. The super then turned to this lady I work with and asked her about it. She proceeded to out-and-out lie about what happened, all the while looking at me with a straight face. The supervisor looked at me triumphantly and said, see, you were wrong, etc etc etc. I looked this woman in the eyes for a few seconds, thinking maybe she would retract her story, but nothing. So it ended up that I got in trouble and she didn't, even though we were both equally responsible. A few minutes later, we were working together out of earshot of the super, and she said to me, you shouldn't have told her that, you might get in a lot of trouble now. Just tell her what she wants to hear. I told her that I don't lie and I wasn't planning on lying about it. She shrugged and said, well, it's your butt. And she's right, it is, and I can take care of myself and defend myself, but it was all I could do to kick down my human nature -- b/c I really felt like running to the supervisor and telling her, it's a lie! She lied to you! But I really didn't think that would accomplish much of anything, and it really wasn't my place to tattle on her, seeing as we are all adults and can make our own choices. It just really bothered me in a lot of ways. Not that I had infinite amounts of respect for her before, but now it's down to zero. But this is the worldly mindset -- do what you have to in order to please the boss, even if it involves sin -- do only what you have to in order to get by --talk behind each other's backs at every opportunity -- and the list goes on and on. While I am definitely not perfect, I AM a Christian, and it is my business to make sure my work is honest and thorough. And while I am not happy about the situation today, I AM happy that it bothered me......because if it hadn't, I would be in a really bad place. We are to be in the world and not of it.

And that is the state of my rambling mind today......

6 comments:

Kay said...

I just want you to know that last night in campus church Chris Rice came and sang two songs. And then a free concert after, but I didn't stay for that... simply b/c i don't really know who he is, but i see that you like him??? eh.. he seemed boring 0_o

Melissa said...

ohhhhhhhh, I am so jealous!!! How could you not have stayed for the concert? You must be uncultured.....lol. What songs were they? He is soooo amazing. :-D Can you tell I like him?

Katina said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog Melissa! Starbucks is fun!

I "know" your sister Jeanette. We went to 1st and 2nd? grade together. All I remember is that we used to "skip" together. What is she up to? Does she have a blog!

I enjoy reading your blog...you have adorable nieces and nephews! :)

Abbi said...

I had the same apathetic thoughts in the secular workplace. I know what you are going through.

There is a thought that secular employers will see the difference in integrity among Christian employees who are faithful and honest and it will be a testimony, and they will appreciate it. But in the day in which we live, I think that is becoming less and less the case. My husband experiences this in his workplace from time to time. Such is our post-modern culture, I guess.

Anonymous said...

I admire you Melissa for standing up for the truth. It is so hard in the world that we live in! Good for you...the Lord rewards those who stand for the truth!

Melissa said...

hey Katina, I remember that my sister knows you or used to know you or whatever. :) She is married and lives out in Oregon with her husband and two kids. She's the mom of my only nephew, whom I'm sure you have seen on my blog. David is about 7 months old, and Gabrielle is almost 2. :) She doesn't have a blog, but she has a little web page and an email address, I'll send you both if you like.