Friday, October 5, 2007

up to my ears in pumpkin (and candle wax)

Soooo....

Thanksgiving is on Monday, and I am getting ready by making all the pumpkin pies!!! Pie number four is in the oven, and the house smells heavenly. I should really make them more often, if only to get the aroma. We are having dinner at James' parents' house, I guess there will be 16 or 17 people -- the more, the merrier. And (ahem) there are a couple of other creatures in the house who really love when I make pumpkin pie -- Harry and Spencer. Actually, this was Harry's first experience with it, since he is only six months old, but he loves it just as much as his big sister! They go crazy over pumpkin -- sit at attention in the kitchen and purr approvingly as I work. They love the taste of pumpkin for whatever reason.....not even the sweetened stuff.....they eat the raw stuff like it's a steak or a piece of fish or something. :) It's kinda cute to watch. (In case anyone was wondering, Harry and Spencer are my cats......not kids.....lol).

About the candle wax.....

Well, it seems like stupid things always happen to me......and there is always someone around to witness these events too (of course). Beth came over yesterday after work, and we were getting ready to head out to the grocery store. I had some candles burning, so I figured I'd better blow them out before we left.....just in case, ya know. I think it would have been safer this time to leave them burning......lol. Anyways, Beth tried to blow out the one on the coffee table, and it didn't go out, even after two big puffs. I was like, stand back, I got this. And get it, I did. :-D I blew with a huff and a puff and all that fairy tale nonsense, and yeah, the candle definitely went out, but I ended up with a faceful of hot liquid wax!! I screamed, b/c I was so ready for it to burn me, but it didn't seem that hot after all. It solidified pretty much right away, and I was left with a green wax pock-marked face......looked kinda ghoulish or snotty or whatever.....when I saw it in the mirror, I definitely had to laugh......it was really funny. Beth was relieved that I wasn't hurt, so she thought it was okay to laugh too (which it wasn't......lol, j/k) and also thought it would be a good idea to take a pic. However, I didn't exactly agree with that idea, so no pic -- sorry for all those of you who wanted to see me with a spotty green face. Thankfully, I didn't burn my eyes or anything, I think it could have been so much worse.

After scrubbing my face (and removing all the makeup I had just so carefully applied), we headed out to the store and returned home without incident -- had a wonderful dinner and watched a movie. I, however, could not bring myself to light the candle again. Maybe another day. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...you are pretty blessed to have not gotten burned!
And the pumpkin pies...I really cant wait...I am glad that I am part of your brothers family!

Melissa said...

I hope you meant husband, b/c I don't think you're part of my brother's family.....at least I hadn't heard that....lol. :)

Kay said...

Um... just have to say that Thanksgiving isn't for another month and a half.... 0_O

Happymama said...

Your wax story is exactly something that would happen to me. lol

And hmmm, I'll have to give Harley (our cat) a taste of pumpkin when I do my pies for our Thanksgiving next month.

~Kristi

Happymama said...

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving, by the way!

~Kristi

Kay said...

so... i updated three times for you. haha. Hope your thanksgiving was thankful and turkeyfull. yes. i did just make that up.

Melissa said...

haha Kay, I haven't even been over to look -- I was away for a while! I'll check it out soon and leave lots of stupido comments. :)

Kristi, that would be really funny if your cat liked pumpkin too! :) And thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes, we had a wonderful day and dinner. :)