Friday, December 14, 2007

a feeling of emptiness...

I juggled an armful of packages and a huge stack of Christmas cards as I maneuvered my way up the icy steps of the post office. My arms were full of joy and cheer, ready to make its way around the world. I sent out two boxes and about 35-40 cards, half to Canada and half to the good old USA. The lady at the post office hardly seemed to notice the pretty wrapping paper I had used, and the cute Christmas stickers I had put on the envelopes. She shrugged in annoyance when I asked if I could have Christmas stamps to put on the cards. And then said "your total is $54.46." Yikes. For that price I could buy a tank and a half of gas and hand-deliver most of them. :)

So, I handed over the money after holding a quick funeral for my diminishing bank account, and smiled brightly at the postal workers. They rolled their eyes and did not even so much as wish me a happy holiday. I got in the car with nothing in my hands, a gaping hole in my checking account, and not even the sound of "Merry Christmas" in my ears.

I felt.....empty. The post office for sure will take the Christmas spirit out of you! :)

P.S. Just kidding, I love Christmas and sending cards, just wish it didn't cost so much!

7 comments:

C.F.B said...

Sounds like you need to start spreading Christmas cheer...I tried that today to someone after I had finished spending money on cat food I wished the cashier a merry christmas. Suprised she looked up and said thank you....i think i made her day!Try it...say merry christmas to people this year and see how many smiles you get back!

Andrew said...

You must live in or around Toronto.

Amy Fichtner said...

I think it's aeful how some of the postal workers are acting!! My husband is a mail carrier and it is stressful right now but that really is no excuse!! I am sorry but I am sure whoever recieves your gifts and cards will be blessed!! Merry Christmas!!!

Jessica said...

Those postal workers aren't exactly the happiest buch of folks are they!? :)

I wanted to stop by and say "Cangrats" on winning the game at Sis Julie's blog this week!! Great job. :)

Hope you have a great Christmas!! (It's hard to believe it's only a week and 3 days away!! How exciting!!)

Love & Prayers,
Jessica

Sis. Julie said...

It is so true about the postal service. My SIL mailed out several care packages to soldiers deployed to Iraq with her husband and it cost her over $100 for all of them by the time she was finished. Of course there were two or three packages for her husband. Our family also got together with other family members to send out a package to her husband. The postal service certainly does know how to drain that bank account.

As for not hearing even so much as a "Happy Holidays"...that doesn't surprise me. I make sure to say "Merry Christmas" to each cashier I meet and it seems to brighten their countenance a little. So many are feeling the bah-humbugs for one reason or another this year.

Happymama said...

Awww, ((((HUGS)))) I'm not a postal worker, but MERRY CHRISTMAS!

~Kristi

Melissa said...

thanks for the Christmas wishes, everyone!!! Now I feel kinda dumb for complaining....