Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Valentine's is on the way...

Valentine's Day is one of the most special days of the year for me. Not b/c it's oooey gooey love day and I usually get flowers and chocolate -- although those things are nice. It is an anniversary of sorts for me, and this year will mark five years that my husband Jamie and I have been together as a couple. I can hardly believe that it's been that long/short, depending on what day you ask me! I do know that I am extremely thankful every day for the wonderful man God brought into my life more than five years ago. So I thought I would write a post telling a little about how we met and got together, for those who don't know (or can't remember :). And that photo above is a pic of us soon after we started dating, I think? We look like such kids....

Anyways, I first met James at Pensacola Christian College in the first semester of my sophomore year. Exactly the day and place I do not know. I hung out with a group of friends, and he started hanging out with us too, until I didn't remember the group without him -- hence the confusion about when he actually became part of our little circle. I was NOT looking for a relationship of any sort, isn't that the way it always works? :)

The first thing I remember about him was that he was always teasing me. He will tell you he remembers the exact moment that he first saw me, right down to what I was wearing. He may be making that up, but ah, it's still sweet. :) He seemed really easy to talk to, and I was having difficulty in a lot of my classes, so he became the person I unloaded on. Eventually, we started getting together more and more, sometimes still with our group and sometimes on our own. In October, all of us were talking about going to Fine Arts together -- fancy schmancy productions that the college put on and required us to attend, all while dressed extremely uncomfortably formally. I just assumed we would all go as an entourage, and my girlish heart was happy that James would be coming along too. He and I were talking about it one day, and then he asked me if maybe we could just go, him and me. I guess that was our first official date, the first of many formal events we attended together. Did I enjoy the events? Not overly, but I enjoyed the company I had very much, and soon the two of us were inseparable.

Although at the time, I saw us as merely becoming very good friends. James had other ideas, but I was either naive or chose to remain oblivious to the growing attraction between the two of us.

.....to be continued......

1 comment:

Anne said...

Aww... Missy, I've not heard this story yet! This is between the period of Missy-from-school and Melissa-from-blog! I can't wait to read the rest!