Tuesday, June 24, 2008

adventures of our cats

Our children cats are named Spencer and Harry. And before you ask, no, we DON'T have an obsession with Princess Diana. We just picked those names because we like them.

Anyways, on to the tale.....

Last Saturday, I was trying to relax after coming home from work at 7am. We were supposed to head over to James' parents house around 11am, so I wanted to be as rested as possible. In the past few days, we had noticed the apartment had an interesting odor hanging in the air. I figured this was just because the litter boxes needed a good deep cleaning, and we were out of air freshener. Little did I know it was much worse. I went to tackle the litter boxes and realized there really wasn't much to clean out of them. Which was weird, seeing as I hadn't done it in a few days. So therein lies the problem -- I can smell it, so I know it's there, so WHERE IS IT???

I didn't feel like doing anything else, so after freshening up the litter boxes, I settled on the sofa to rest a little. Spencer was running around and crying -- didn't really know why, didn't really care. :) She started pawing in one corner so I yelled at her to stop. She ran over by James' toolbox and started scratching around there. Again I yelled at her, and was very annoyed that she should disturb me in such a fashion. After that, she squatted not far from where I was sitting and made an ENORMOUS mess on the carpet.

By this time, I was livid. I yelled at her some more, picked her up, and carried her to the bathroom, where she was to remain a prisoner. :) James had been sleeping, but was now very much awake due to the commotion. Harry was looking on with interest, trying his hardest to be good so I would not turn my wrath on him. As I was cleaning up the mess, I began to smell that wonderful smell again, and not just because of what I was doing. It was in the vicinity. So I looked in the areas Spencer had been scratching around in this morning, and found another huge mess, all over James' winter coat. Plus, she had taken it upon herself to pee all over a large box of scrapbooking supplies I had stashed in the corner. Now this is where I draw the line -- do NOT mess with my scrapbooking stuff!!!

Needless to say, I did NOT get any rest that morning, as we spent most of it cleaning up the house and running to Walmart to get stain and odor removing cleaners. I guess the problem was the humidity in the house had made the litter in their boxes damp and it wasn't clumping properly. Spencer wasn't fond of this, so she decided to take her business elsewhere. Luckily, Harry did not decide the same thing. :) We fixed the problem with a dehumidifier and brand new clean litter, and all has been well ever since.

I have always been the one to defend the cats when James gets mad at them or wants to get rid of them. But let me say, I was THIS close to leaving Spencer out on the street when she decided to pee on my patterned paper. And my alphabet stickers. And my rub-ons. And all the rest of my stuff. That is just an area too close to my heart (no pun intended). But she remains, as the princess of the house (for now).

P.S. I got her back today -- I gave her a nice long bath, and by the time it was over, she was mad and has gone into a corner to sulk for the rest of the day. Hopefully, she won't pee in that corner lol. :-D

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Hi! Race Street is doing great...I don't know which members you remember, but everyone is doing fine. Pastor Freeman had been battling cancer this year, but just got a report that the cancer is gone, so that's wonderful!