Tuesday, June 17, 2008

this and that

I have certainly been neglecting this blog again, as per usual. I'm always thinking, I should put this on my blog, and then I never do! So I think what it boils down to is I have a blog in my head, if anyone is interested in reading it. :) :)

My mom had surgery on June 12 to remove the cancerous cells. They also removed several lymph nodes so they can try to determine whether the cancer has spread. The surgeon was looking for a particular lymph node but couldn't find it, so hopefully they have taken ones that will be a good indicator, as she definitely doesn't want more surgery. She also had a drain put in this time, which annoyed her to no end, but that was removed yesterday and she is recovering at home. She was even able to attend church on Sunday AND sing in the choir. I don't believe there's anything my mother cannot do!

James and I have been pretty busy lately. We finished up our Missions Conference at church on June 8, and that was a great time of fellowship and learning. Going to church five times in one week certainly put a drain on our gas money. It is rather unfortunate that the closest good Bible-believing independent Baptist church is about 30 minutes away, but we believe in being faithful no matter the cost, and we believe this is the best possible church for us right now. One day, we hope to move closer to a Godly local church.

A couple of weeks ago, we went to a Jays game in Toronto. We always love to do that -- ride the subway into downtown Toronto and watch a baseball game from the upper decks. The tickets are fairly inexpensive, and I got to try out the amazing zoom on my new camera. Some of the pictures I got look so close-up, and we were sitting on the top level! I'm going to have to get some pictures of the Yankees when we go in August. The only bummer to the day was it was probably the hottest day of the summer so far. :) Not that I mind the heat, but the sun was out in full force, and there we were with our bared, sunscreen-free shoulders. Haha, yeah, I was in pain for almost a week after........that'll teach me.......

James seems to have done something to his shoulder. On Thursday, he was in so much pain he was practically crying, but he wouldn't let me take him to the emergency room. He went to the doctor on Friday, who thinks it's a torn muscle of some sort. He loaded him up on pain meds and scheduled an x-ray and ultrasound for later this week. Yesterday, James said his shoulder is feeling so good, only a twinge here and there, and he wants to go back to regular duty at work. :) I say let's wait until the test results -- he might be feeling good as a result of taking all that pain medication around the clock. Hopefully, it was only something minor to begin with, and has already started to heal.

Hmmmmm.......anything else? Oh yeah, I was able to quit one of my jobs and I am so happy about it! I worked at a nursing home every other weekend, and it was really draining me. I loved all the old people, but unfortunately, that was the only thing I loved about the place. This particular home had such an uninviting atmosphere, and staff who would rather gossip and argue among themselves than take care of the residents. In the last few months, I ended up having to work BOTH of my jobs on the same weekend, which meant working 46 hours in the space of only 58. Let me tell you -- a few months of that equals total exhaustion!!! I am very thankful that it was only an extra job, and not necessary to our financial situation, so out the window it went! I am sending in my application to register for the RN exam sometime this week, so I am working on perfecting my resume and a cover letter to send out to area hospitals. I thought this day would never come.

And there you have it -- my incredibly newsy post.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

LOL @ having a blog in your head. :-P