Monday, December 22, 2008

snow and other such winter happenings

Well, I guess this is a record year for snow. And all over the place too -- not just in the northeast!! Even though I become quite annoyed with snow at times, I do have to admit it wouldn't quite seem like Christmas without all the snow. However, that being said, it would be pretty great if it would all just disappear by the end of 2008. :)

I think it snowed pretty much all day Friday. Fortunately, we were both off, so we just stayed inside by the fireplace all day. There was no snow on Saturday, but the temps were beyond frigid. Probably the coldest I've felt this winter so far. Brrrrrrr. We record our temps in Celsius here, but it worked out to about 1 or 2 degrees Fahrenheit. Pretty bone chilling.

On Saturday evening, we went to a Christmas party with some of the people where James works. I didn't really know most of the people, but I had a really good time anyways. Lots of laughing and lots and lots of GREAT food. James thought we might get home by 10pm, but I think we pulled into our driveway about 1:30am. And it was just starting to snow. Again. We got several more inches overnight. Although thankfully, I was tucked away snug in my bed for the duration of that.

Sunday morning (well, at least the daylight hours of the morning) came much too quickly, and then I tried to figure out if it would be wise to drive to church in the lovely conditions. We drive about 30 or so minutes one way to church. After cleaning a mountain of snow off the car and looking at our uncleared street, I thought maybe it would be okay. After all, it was the last Sunday before Christmas, and we were supposed to have a Christmas service at the nursing home that afternoon. So I decked out in winter gear -- including my extremely stylish snow boots -- and drove reallllllllllly slowly to church. It took a bit longer than normal, but I didn't slip or slide and I safely arrived in one piece.

The rest of the happenings of the day will have to wait for another time, bc I have to go to work now (boo). :) Let's just say I didn't exactly make it home Sunday night......

P.S. I just wanted to congratulate myself on a major achievement. I was making banana ripple cake (a great recipe of my mom's) to take to the party on Saturday night. One of the steps in the recipe requires beating a couple of egg whites to meringue-y perfection. Well, I have really only tried this on my own one other time in my life (last week) and it was pretty much a disaster. Well, the whites didn't stiffen AT ALL and just became a foamy white milky substance. And being the amazing chef I am, I added them to the batter anyways, just bc I didn't have any eggs left and I thought it would be okay. And essentially, it was -- the cake just wasn't as fluffy and light as it could have been. Anyways.......off the rabbit trail.......I beat the egg whites on Saturday afternoon, and I beat them to amazing PERFECTION. I was soooooo impressed with myself and soooooo proud. I kept showing them to Jamie (he thought they were great too). It was just such a shame that they had to get folded into the cake batter instead of being put on display, as all PERFECT things should be. Haha. I'm sure it will never happen again......shoulda taken a picture.

1 comment:

Amy Fichtner said...

I too love a white christmas but I am totally ok with it being gone at the end of December!!!