Tuesday, February 10, 2009

valentine project

My wonderful big sister kind of inspired me over at her craft blog to make something valentine-y. I've pretty much grown out of handing out valentines to my friends, and I don't have kids yet to do that with. So I had to think of something else. And now I'm feeling all crafty. I can't wait until I have my own space to do all my creative things.

Anyways, once a month, I go with my church to a nursing home, where we hold a small church service with the residents. I've been doing this for about three years, and have really grown to love the people there. I've made them Easter crafts before, and at Christmas, we gave them little bags of candy and cookies and all kinds of Christmas goodies. You can't imagine just how excited they get just to receive some sort of small gift. This month, our day happens to fall on the day after Valentine's Day, so I decided to make them a little Valentine that can be used as a bookmark or whatever. Some of them really don't have much family, and I want them to know that we love them, and more importantly, God loves them.

Here's what I came up with (click to enlarge). I have seen the John 3:16 idea for valentines before, and I just love it. What greater love is there, than to have God send His only Son to die for us?? It's the perfect valentine.

2 comments:

Jeanette "Frogster" said...

These are great! I have never seen the John 3:16 valentine before. Love ribbon!:)
I shall expect much craftiness in the future when you move into your new home. :)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I made 75 of these for the nursing home this month. All of mine were different because I used up a lot of extra supplies around the house. The only thing I had to buy were the tape runners. Instead of stapling ribbon to the top (I get squeamish when I think of staples and the elderly) I used heart-shaped eyelets and made a bow of sorts through it. The bottoms were decorated with all different types of hearts--lace stickers, foam, felt, foil, etc. They were a big hit -- thanks for the great idea! Now they want a new project for this month--we shall see! Love, Mom