Wednesday, March 18, 2009

oh the trials of life.....

So, last week (or whenever) I was whining (yes, whining) about a situation. A situation that I interpreted as bad, long before it even had an opportunity to manifest itself. In short, I cried (a lot) about not being able to get a job after TWO interviews. Poor little me.

Well, soon after I cried about it, I received a phone call in which I was offered one of the jobs from said interviews. Yippee for me!! Regarding the other interview, I also whined (only a little) about how I wished they would call me even if they didn't want to hire me. I didn't mind that I didn't get the job -- just that I didn't KNOW.

Well, God has a sense of humor.

Today, I received another phone call. I got the other job!!! Wowee, now what to do?? Both are casual positions, and as far as I can see, that does not entail any set number of hours. I could very possibly accept both positions, but it depends on a number of factors. First, I have to attend orientation at position #1 to find out the particulars of the job. That will be on March 31. Then I will have to call position #2 back and see if their schedule could possibly mesh with my new one. Position #2 seems very understanding about the other position and told me to call them back when I had more of an idea about hours and such. Complicating matters further is the presence of my current job. While NOT my dream job and not really what I went to school for, I feel some sort of attachment to it, as I have been there 2 1/2 years. I don't really want to give it up entirely just yet, as I may need to pick up a few shifts here and there while I learn the ins and outs of casual work. It's a job where I basically schedule myself, so there's that bonus.

Other factors are (of course) money and location. We are relocating to another town in about six weeks. Position #1 will be about 5 minutes from our new house. Position #2 will be about 40 minutes from our new house. And my current job will be about 25 minutes from our new house. I, quite obviously, am keeping the casual position #1, as its location is supremely ideal. I don't know yet if position #2 will offer enough hours to make the drive worth it. And about the money -- positions #1 and #2 are similar, if not identical, in salary. My current job earns me SIGNIFICANTLY less than either of these other two would. Its only "perks" are its familiarity, my attachment to the elderly lady and her daughter, and its consistency. My schedule rarely changes unless I want it to, and the hours are dependable.

So therein lies the irony. Instead of crying about not getting jobs, I am now wondering what is the best route to take now that I essentially have three jobs in my lap. Take one new position?? Well, that's a given -- I've already accepted one. Take both new positions?? Quite possibly. Keep my current job or leave it?? Still undecided. And I can't really decide anything until orientation starts at the end of the month.

Oh well. I'd much rather be in this "predicament" than sit by the phone crying about my apparent lack of interview skills. Oh yes, I am the woman!! :) :) Time will sort this one out, and it will happen quite soon, I think.

3 comments:

Jeanette "Frogster" said...

such a bummer when we have too many choices! :) how exciting - can't wait to hear how you figure it all out!
btw, did James tell you I called today...

Kay said...

How aweful it must be to have 3 jobs that want you and are willing to hand you money! haha. YAY that your moving soon!!!

Amber said...

Thats hilarious! I wish we had that problem here in the states right now!