Friday, March 20, 2009

proud of us!!

God has blessed us so much financially. Many times, I am ungrateful -- thinking we don't have enough money for this or that -- but the truth is we have way more than we can use, and much more than we need. Honestly, we aren't the most frugal of people. Sure, I'll use coupons here and there when I can, and I always take advantage of good sales, but when I see how frugally some people (have to) live, it almost makes me feel wasteful.

Anyways, even with our not-quite-frugal/not-quite-spendthrift lifestyle, we have managed to save quite a bit of money during the time we have been married. During the last 3 1/2 years, these are our major financial milestones:

  • Paid off about $12,000 in debt (basically from my college tuition)
  • Paid off about $2,500 worth of dental bills from when we didn't have dental insurance
  • Bought a car, which we are currently making payments on
  • Saved over $20,000 toward the purchase of our new home
  • Consistently given 10% plus of our income to God's work at our church
When I think of how much income we have earned over the past few years, I am impressed with the amount of money we were able to save, and I am so proud of us!! But I think it is the last point that is the kicker -- giving back to God. I confess that many times I am so tempted to let that slide. Skipping one week of giving probably wouldn't hurt, right?? And I could sure use that $200 elsewhere -- maybe pay the cable bill or the car insurance. But then I slap myself and remind myself that it is the least we can do to give some of our earnings back to God. He has never failed us -- not once -- and He's not about to start now. And I firmly believe that God blesses those who give back to Him.

Now, after living in a small apartment for the last three years, God has blessed us with the means to purchase our own home. We both have good jobs. We also have two cars that are insured, and we always have money to buy gas for them. We always have food in our refrigerator and in our pantry, and there are more than enough clothes in our closet. We have nice furniture, two computers, a TV, and a ridiculous amount of "extras." Thank you, God, for consistently taking care of us!!

"Now unto Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto HIM be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen."

No comments: