Saturday, March 14, 2009

to rock or not to rock

I have many thoughts today. For your convenience, I shall put them in a numbered list. :-)

  1. Yoplait yogurt -- cranberry-raspberry crumble variety: This stuff rocks!! I am so in love with this flavor. Unfortunately, the only way I seem to be able to buy it is in a 16-pack with three other flavors (4 of each flavor). While the other flavors are okay, I find myself just dutifully slurping them down in anticipation of the cranberry stuff. I hope I can find it soon in its own individual pack, or in a big tub, or something.
  2. RRRoll up the RRRim contest: This stuff does NOT rock. I guess one could make the case that we go through the drive-thru at Timmy's an awful lot. I probably wouldn't contest that fact. Even more so during February and March, when they have the (in)famous RRRoll up the RRRim contest. It's just like it sounds -- after you're done drinking your coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or whatever, you roll up the rim to see if you've won a prize. Prizes range from gift cards to money to new cars to computers. However, free coffee and donuts from Timmy's is supposed to be the easiest prize to win -- after all, they're only giving away 31 MILLION food prizes. I remember from last year winning a donut almost every time I rolled up the rim. Not so this year. We. have. not. won. ANYTHING. You would think this might be enough to make us stop buying our favorite beverages. Again, not so. Apparently, we're suckers for punishment.
  3. The hair-dying saga: This stuff does NOT rock. I decided in a LAST effort to try the hair dye my sister recommended. If it didn't work, then I was done and stuck with the wonderful color God gave me. :) Well, let me tell you -- this dye is potent stuff. My eyes were watering and I was feeling a bit faint as I combed it through my hair. James said he was getting a headache from it, and he wasn't anywhere near me when I was doing it. Ah, I thought, this is the stuff. Anything this powerful has to be clinging to (and chemically destroying) every single strand of my hair. It said to leave it on for 10 minutes, so due to my hair's non-compliance in the past, I left it on for 30 minutes. Work, baby, work!! Well, I have to say I *think* it worked. Immediately after, my hair was dark. Really dark. I did it on a Saturday night, and I got LOADS of comments about it at church the next day. But!! There's always a but!! Even though it's supposed to be a permanent dye, I believe it is slowly washing out every time I wash my hair. It's still darker than normal, but it's definitely lighter than the first day. And from day two, my lather of shampoo ends up with a purplish tinge to it. That's ok though -- after all this trouble I've been through, I don't even think I liked it dark, although everyone else sure seemed to. I think I'm gonna stick with my dark dark blonde. Although I would love to add some pink or purple streaks -- anyone got any advice on that??? :) :)
  4. Job interviews: this stuff does NOT rock. Honestly, the mere mention of an interview sends my stomach into spasms and me into a nearly full-blown nervous breakdown. Usually when I get to the interview, I am completely fine and able to be polite, outgoing, and maybe even charming. I had an interview last week Wednesday, and it seemed to go okay. She said someone would be contacting me soon. It's been a week and a half, and no one has called. I'm guessing that means they passed on me. Totally fine, but I almost wish they would call and say so, so my stomach doesn't have to be in knots all the time wondering. The second interview was this past Tuesday. There were three of us, and only one job available. Part of it was a group interview, and part of it was individual. I had the last individual interview, and honestly, I thought it went GREAT. I felt like I really clicked with the two interviewers, and it left me with a very happy feeling. She said they would be making a decision by the end of the week. Yikes. The next three days were anxiety-ridden. I couldn't even sleep at night due to feeling ill, and when I finally would fall asleep, I would dream that they had called me. Then I would frantically wake up, grab the phone, and realize they hadn't. All day yesterday, I assumed I would hear something. The phone did not ring. Instead of feeling sick, I now started to feel upset that I probably hadn't gotten the job. I did all this worst-case scenario stuff in my mind, and then ended up sobbing about how I was never going to get a job. You would NOT have wanted to be at my house yesterday. Finally, I let it go (with a lot of prodding from Jamie). I thought, maybe they're making a decision today and then calling everyone on Monday. Yeah, that's it. Job interviews and waiting are definitely not for me!!!
  5. Getting a job: now this stuff totally rocks!!! After all my whining and woe-is-me-ing (great word I just made up, hey?) that I did on Friday, the director called me very late Friday afternoon and said "would you like a job?" Ah, music to my anxiety-laden ears!! It felt amazing to have my hard work finally pay off. And it made me feel a lot better about my interviewing skills -- maybe it really had gone as well as I thought. I don't know all the details yet, but she is going to call me back Monday and tell me more. When I see her again, I will have to give her a huge hug for letting me know before the weekend so I wouldn't have to be sick about it. Then again, that might not be the best way to impress a new employer. So I'll just be happy about it here!!! Thank you, God.
And so concludes my list of thoughts for now. :)

P.S. Is it just me, or has the standard of dress for interviews gone WAY down?? I've always thought it was appropriate to look professional, clean, and well-polished for an interview, even if you're applying to be a cashier at a supermarket (I did that, so I know!!). I usually dress up (not ridiculously so -- no ball gowns or anything lol). I figure if you are trying to sell yourself to a company, it's important to look your best. In these group interviews, however, I get to see how other people are dressing, and let me tell you, it's scary sometimes. In this last one, a not-very-skinny woman was wearing a very ill-fitting blue suit that looked about a hundred years old. And she paired with that white athletic socks and very casual shoes. Hmmmmm. That may or may not be as bad as the last group interview I had last year. There were nine of us, all female. Three of the nine were wearing jeans!! And two were wearing shirts/blouses that left an awful lot of them hanging out and not an awful lot left to the imagination. Another was wearing scrubs -- I guess maybe she had just come from work?? Still, take the time to change!! Maybe employers just have to take what they can get these days. If I'm ever in the position to do the hiring (not very likely), I would certainly not hire someone who couldn't even bother to look appropriate for ONE day.

Sorry, pet peeve...... :) :)

4 comments:

Danielle said...

I agree 100% about the way people dress- especially for an interview. This is so important and maybe even why you were offered the job...=)

Kristi said...

I'm so happy you got the job! And you're right on about the dressing for interviews.

~Kristi

Dear Abbi said...

Congrats on the job, girl!!! So happy for you!

Melissa said...

thanks girls!! :) I am sleeping so much better at night now that I've gotten that phone call.