Saturday, April 11, 2009

busy busy

So, today was a pretty busy-busy type of day. The day after Good Friday and the day before Easter -- I totally forget every year just what kind of craziness goes on on this day. Yesterday I planned on going to Michael's........not thinking it was Good Friday. I had a coupon that said it was good only on April 10. Yesterday. So it didn't even occur to me that it might not be open. So I hopped in the car and drove the 40 minutes to the nearest Michael's. It starts dawning on me after I pass empty parking lot after empty parking lot. Oh well, I thought, maybe just Michael's is open. There's a coupon after all! And Michael's was open on Thanksgiving, so Good Friday is not that much of a stretch. However, I pull up to the very empty parking lot, refusing to believe that it is closed until I see the sign for myself.

Sigh.

Back to busy-busy.

Because everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is closed on Good Friday here (an adjustment for this American), and a lot of stuff is closed on Easter as well, what I affectionately refer to as Easter Saturday is madness.

I first experienced the madness at the grocery store. I walked down to the local Price Chopper to pick up a few items. As soon as I walked in, I was sucked into a huge crowd of people, all mulling over what kind of apples to get, or perhaps white or whole wheat bread. I am not normally a claustrophobic person, but I started to feel a bit under attack closed in, so I ran around navigated the mess and haphazardly threw many items into my bag. Yep, I am eco-friendly, so I have my own bag. It's easy being green!! :) Anyways, I finally got in a line, and after 10 minutes of waiting, the ever-polite woman in front of me decided to inform me that it was a cash-only line. Oh.how.wonderful. I moved to another (long) line and glared at the previous one. I finally made it through the line and exited the store $43 poorer. I guess they weren't chopping too many prices today. :)

I spent the early afternoon volunteering at a local retirement home. I try to do that when I have time; unfortunately free time has been rather scarce lately. But I know a lady who works there, and she recruited me to come in and play the piano for the residents this afternoon. It's great for me -- I love playing the piano and I don't have one here at home. So I get to practice and play all I want, and the residents of the home get to enjoy it too.

After that was done, I decided to try the long drive to Michael's again. I KNEW it was open today. And NO, I didn't learn anything from my morning experience at the grocery store. What can I say -- I'm a sucker for Michael's. The drive to and from wasn't bad, but once I hit the city, I hit major major traffic. Yippee. It took me 15 minutes to go less than a mile. :) But Michael's was good to me as always, and then I stopped in Bulk Barn to get stuff for an Easter basket for Jamie. Of course I'm not really sure what I was thinking going in a candy store the day before Easter. More madness ensued. I don't really think I look like a Bulk Barn employee, but I did get asked more than once if I knew where the marshmallow bunnies were. :)

It was good to get home. Jamie ended up working late, so I used the next hour to mix up cupcake, cookie, and muffin batter. I'm supposed to take dessert to church tomorrow, and I couldn't decide what to make. So I made three things. Or at least mixed them up. I'm in the process of baking as-I-type. :) Add that to the mock peanut brittle I made this afternoon for the retirement home, and I think you'll have to agree that I'm a regular Suzy Homemaker. Oh yes I am. ;)

Now I am winding down and finishing up the cookies. So anyone up for some carrot muffins, cream cheese cupcakes, or chocolate raspberry chip cookies, come on over!!

P.S. I got an e-mail today that says my new computer has been shipped!! I can't wait to be using a laptop again....

No comments: